The inside of the château is composed of about sixty rooms each of which has its own architectural and decorative specificity. While the chapel, big guardrooms, spiral staircases, fireplaces and subterranean passages are reminders of the medieval world, the best part of the castle is its warm, inviting atmosphere. Its proportions and setting will make everyone feel like living there.

Superb French style ceilings dating back to the Renaissance and XVIIth Century are elements of renown in this castle whose walls are covered with tapestries from Flanders, Brussels and Aubusson.

The walls of one very large room are covered with leather pieces from Cordoba that used to be in the castle of Vauvenargues. These very rare leather pieces known as “gilded polychrome” were ordered from a craftsman in Aix-en-Provence in 1680.

Beautiful gypsum sculptures from the XVIIIth century located in the reception rooms, the dining room and the bedrooms are reminders of the nearness of Aix-en-Provence. A reception room covered with mural paintings representing the Versailles Gardens was probably decorated at the same time as the French style garden designed by Le Nôtre was created.

During the French Revolution, the castle was not damaged.

In 1797, a marriage was arranged between the owner of the castle, Palamède de Forbin, and a rich heiress from Grasse. Both of them behaved as patrons by inviting artists and by having different types of fitting out and interior decoration done. Some boudoirs decorated in the neoclassical style date back to that period. As early as 1798, the famous painter Marius Granet could be found in La Barben. He was the inseparable friend of Auguste de Forbin who was Palamède’s brother. The painter who was a regular guest at La Barben, took an active part in its decoration. The reading room painted in the style of the loggias by Raphaël in 1798, and the very elegant Pompeiian boudoir painted in 1808 for Pauline Borghèse, who was Napoleon’s sister and Auguste de Forbin’s mistress, show how much intimate, refined places were appreciated in those days.